Jacques Pépin’s Ice Cream French Toast
A decadent breakfast treat
- Dinner plate
- Frying pan
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Vanilla Ice cream–use the good stuff please. I prefer Haagen-Dazs because it only has five ingredients: sugar, cream, milk, egg yolks and flavor.
- 1-2 TBSP Butter
- 2-3 TBSP Your choice of toppings: Maple syrup, melted chocolate sauce, sliced bananas, strawberries, etc
- 1-2 Slices Thick sliced bread. Like 1 inch if you can locate it. I'm using french brioche.
- Melt ice cream on your dinner plate, (you can use the microwave to do this but don't cook it, just melt it). Soak bread in the melted ice cream. While that's happening, heat your frying pan to medium. Flip the bread over to soak that side in the melted ice cream for about 1-2 minutes. SAVE THE MELTED ICE CREAM and the dinner plate as, you'll use it when finished cooking.
- Add butter to frying pan, once it starts to bubble and cook somewhat, add in the ice cream soaked bread. Cook about 2-3 minutes or so, until golden brown. Flip and cook about 1-2 minutes. Make sure you have sufficient butter in the pan.
- Using the melted ice cream and plate, when French toast is done, lay it into the melted ice cream you saved. Top with fresh fruits, maple syrup or whatever you'd like. Bacon goes well with this!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!