Jacques Pépin’s Cuban Black Bean Soup
Authentic Cuban recipe
- 6 quart Soup pot
- Blender, food processor or immersion blender.
- 1 LB Black beans-dry
- 2 Quarts Water
- 1-1 1/2 Quarts Chicken Stock-we use unsalted
- 1/2 Cup Rice–white, jasmine, brown. Your choice
- 1/2 TSP Cumin
- 1/2 TSP Chili powder
- 1 TSP Coarse Salt Use less if using table salt.
- 1 Bunch Cilantro stems/bottoms–Chopped You can not use this if you don't like cilantro, or use LESS.
- 1-1 1/2 Cups Salsa-I'm using a fresh medium heat You can use canned tomatoes if you don't want to use salsa.
- 5-6 Cloves Garlic, rough chopped
- 1 Cup Leeks-chopped–about 1 cup
- 2 Cups Onion-rough chopped
- TOPPINGS Sliced banana,Diced sweet onions, fresh Cilantro (from the stems). A dash of vinegar if you want a little acid. diced hard-boiled egg, dash of tabasco, a dash of olive oil. Optional toppings. Use what you want of these.
- Pour beans onto a baking sheet to look for stones, etc. Put beans in a strainer and rinse them well with water. Put beans into your cooking pot.
- Add two quarts of water and 1 quart of chicken stock, cumin powder, chili powder, Stir and bring to a fast boil. Cover and lower heat to low, cook for approximately 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove lid, add chopped cilantro stems, salsa, garlic, leeks, onion. You might need to add more chicken stock or water if it appears TOO thick. 1, 1 1/2 cups. You don't want it to be THICK. Add a pinch of salt, bring this all to a boil. Lower heat to LOW, cover and let cook about an hour. Beans should be completely cooked by now. If not cook a little more but watch so you don't overcook them. Otherwise you'll have mush.
- Using your blender or food processor take about 2 cups of your soup and blend it until creamy. Or if you are using an immersion tool, insert into soup and pulse (on/off) blend for 5-10 seconds to add a creaminess to the soup. You don't want to overdo it though.
- It's ready. Ladle into your bowls. Top with you choice of any or all of these. Mix it up, try something new. Sliced banana,Diced sweet onionsFresh Cilantro (from the stems)A dash of vinegar if you want a little acid. Diced hard-boiled eggDash of tabascoDash of Olive oil
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!