Celebrate the holidays with this creamy and delicious tradition. Aging for 2 weeks to 2 months creates a depth and complexity to this holiday classic.
- 2 Large Mixing Bowls
- Large glass jar or a couple of smaller ones enough to store 3 to 4 quarts
- 12 Egg Yolks
- 1 pound Sugar
- 1 tsp Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 1 pint Half and Half
- 1 pint Whole Milk
- 1 pint Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Meyer's Dark Rum
- 1 cup Cognac
- 1 cup 100 Proof Bourbon
- ¼ tsp Kosher Salt
- Wash eggs and separate yolks. Store whites for another recipe. I love making Angel Food Cake.
- Beat the yolks with the sugar and nutmeg in a large mixing bowl until the mixture falls off the whisk in a solid ribbon.
- Combine dairy, booze and salt in a second bowl or pitcher and then slowly beat in the egg mixture.
- Move to a large glass jar (or a couple of smaller ones) and store in the refrigerator for a minimum of 2 weeks. A month would be better and 2 months better still.
- Serve in mugs or cups topped with a little extra grated nutmeg. You may also add a dollop of freshly whipped cream.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!