This traditional cocktail of the Kentucky Derby has as many variations as there are horses in the race. The commonalities are Bourbon, Sugar, Water, Mint and Crushed Ice. The term "julep" refers to a sweet drink. This specification is in the tradition of the julep.
- Julep Tin, Collins Glass or 12 oz Glass
- 4 oz Bourbon
- 1 oz Simple Syrup
- 7 Mint Leaves or Mint Simple Syrup
- 2 Cups Crushed Ice
- 1 Garnish Mint Bouquet
- Add mint simple syrup to glass. If not using mint simple syrup, muddle mint leaves and simple syrup in the glass.
- Fill glass 1/2 full of crushed ice and add Bourbon and stir.
- Fill glass with crushed ice, forming a dome on top. Be careful not to touch the sides of the glass.
- Garnish with mint bouquet and add the straw. Cut straw close to the edge of the drink.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!