Jamaican Jerk Chicken
Pretty close to the real deal without leaving home.
- Food processor or blender
- 1 shallow dish that will hold the chicken and marinade.
- Gloves to handle the peppers. Trust me you need them for the peppers and to massage the marinade into the chicken.
- 1 TBSP Vegetable Oil–not Olive oil I use either Canola or Avocado Oil
- 1 TBSP Brown sugar or honey
- 1/2 Cup Soy sauce We use low sodium, and add a 1/4 tsp additional
- 1 TSP Coarse Salt
- 1 TSP Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 TSP Dried thyme, crumbled to release the oils
- 1 TBSP Fresh ground black pepper
- 1 TBSP Allspice berries, coarsely ground I use a mortar n pestle
- 1 TBSP Five-spice powder there are recipes on line if you want to make your own. I made mine own.
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 2 Scotch Bonnet chiles, chopped You can use a habanero- i removed the seeds from one, left them in the other. WEAR GLOVES WHEN HANDLING THESE PEPPERS ALWAYS.
- 3 Medium Scallions, chopped
- 1 Medium Onion, coarsely chopped
- 3-4 LBS Chicken, quartered You can legs, thighs or breasts if you choose
- Combine onion, scallions, chiles, garlic, five-spice, allspice, pepper, thyme, nutmeg,and salt in your food processor/blender. Process until a coarse paste like consistency. While the blender is running on low, add in the soy sauce and oil slowly. It should be coarse, not pureed.
- Pour the mixture into a large, shallow dish, add the chicken and coat evenly. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bring the chicken to room temperature before proceeding. If you want a little extra flavor, try to rub some of the marinate under the skin but be careful to not tear or rip the skin.
- NOTE: If you are using boneless chicken, limit the time to 6 hours.
- Remove from the refrigerator and allow to sit for 30 minutes or until room temperature.
- Depending on your grill, you'll want to have it ready to go when the chicken reaches room temperature. You want to grill the chicken over a medium hot fire until well browned and cooked through. Cover while cooking to get a more smokey flavor. Transfer to your serving dish when done
What to Serve with Jerk Chicken
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!