Oven-Roasted Peruvian Chicken with a Cilantro Green Sauce
A simple chicken dish packed with great favors.
- Mixing bowl
- Small wooden spoon
- Baking pan with rack
- 1 2-5 LB Whole chicken–Bell and Evans, Organic, etc Buy good chicken if you can.
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Oregano-dried
- 1 TBSP Cumin
- 1 TSP Black pepper
- 1 TSP Smoked Paprika
- 1 TSP Paprika USE TWO if you don't have smoked paprika.
- 1 TBSP Coarse salt
- 4-5 Large Cloves of garlic–bigger chicken, more garlic
- 1/4 Fresh Lime juice
- 3 TBSP EV Olve Oil I buy California Olive Oils.
For the Sauce
- 2-3 Large Jalapeno's, washed, partilly seeded. Less seeds, less heat. Give a rough chop.
- 3/4-1 Cup Fresh Cilantro, washed, trimmed, packed, rough chop.
- 2 Large Garlic cloves
- 1 1/8 TBSP Fresh Lime juice
- 1/8 TSP Black pepper-coarse ground
- 1/3 Cup Sour cream We prefer mayo.
- 1/2 TSP Coarse salt
- 2 TBSP EV Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Mayonaise Use a good brand.
- Please combine all the ingredeiant, except the chicken into a blender or food-processor and blend until smooth. Pour into a bowl.
- Prepare chicken, remove any giblets, dry off and gently, with the breast side facing upward, begin working some of the marinate under the skin (be careful not to rip/tear the skin.) You want to work that under the skin as much as you can, getting the legs, thigh area, breast, etc.
- Tie or truss the chicken legs as best as you can to hold them together and help keep the marinade under the skin. Spoon any remaining marinade over the chicken.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least 12 hours.
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator and uncover.
- Set oven rack to the middle of the oven, pre-heat oven to 425F. Lay chicken onto a roasting pan with a rack so the drippings are collected in the pan.
- Once the oven is at temp, put the chicken in and roast for about 20 minutes. You want the skin to be golden-brown. Once you're there, turn the temp down to 375F and finish cooking until done. Check the chicken about every 20 minutes or so. If it's browning too quickly, tent some foil over it. It should take about an hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or so to finish. Use your temperature gauge to determine internal temp. You are looking for 160-165F. Juices should run clear from the thigh/leg area.
- Once done, remove from the oven, drain out any juices, and place on a carving plate. Tent with foil to rest for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is resting. Congratulate yourself with a drink of your choice whether it be water, seltzer or something else. Take the break. Cooking should be fun.
- For the sauce, combine everything except the olive oil, into a blender.
- Once the sauce is smooth, turn it down to low and very slowly pour in the olive oil through the top of the blender. Pour into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Once the chicken has rested for ~20 minutes, you can carve. Serve with a green sauce over it. This dish goes well with rice, mashed potatoes, beans and rice or roasted vegetables.
This recipe is a combination of other recipes and my own additions.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!