Mike’s Bananas Foster
Bananas Foster is a decadent rum-laced dessert created in New Orleans and is made with sliced bananas, brown sugar, rum and butter.
- 12 inch frying pan/skillet
- 2 Medium Bananas–sliced
- 4 TBSP Brown sugar packed–you may use less if you like
- 3 TBSP Butter
- 1/4 TSP Cinnamon
- 3 TBSP Dark/Amber/Gold Rum also take a shot of it to make sure it's good! haha
- 2-4 Big scoops Vanilla ice cream Buy the good stuff.
- NON-FLAMBRE RECIPE
- Over low heat melt butter in your skillet.
- Add in brown sugar and cinnamon, stirring continously, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in bananas and saute about 1-3 minutes until warm, softened and lightly browned.
- Carefully add rum, continue cooking about 1 minute. I like to remove the pan from the burner when i add the rum, then put it back on the burner to continue.
- Pour over ice cream and enjoy immediately.
Flambé Bananas Foster Recipe–alcohol burns slow and not very hot. Use less rum if you are nervous about doing a Flambe.
- Follow the above recipe until you add the rum, then remove pan from stove and ignite the rum with a long tapered lighter/match. Or, if you cook with a gas stove you can tilt the pan towards the stove flame to ignite the rum. Whichever method you choose keep a fire extinguisher and the pan lid handy in case you need to extinguish the flame.
- Let the fire burn and go out, and then spoon the sauce over bananas and pour over ice cream. Enjoy immediately.
This is not a fat-free recipe.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!