Grilled Lemon Yogurt Chicken
Quick Easy to Make Entree
- 1 cup Non-fat greek style yogurt
- 1/2 Lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Zest
- 4 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 tbsp Paprika you can use smoked paprika for a more smoky flavor.
- 1 tsp Herbes Provence For a more Indian flair, substitute the Herbes Provence and use this curry powder and use 1 TBSP and 1 TBSP of Cumin. I use the curry powder shown below as it's the most authentic tasting that we've found. I get the 1 lb can from Amazon. They sell smaller sizes also. We just use a lot of it in our cooking as we love the flavors it imparts.
- 1 tsp Salt-Coarse or 1/2 if table salt
- 1 tsp Coarse black pepper
- 3-4 lbs Chicken thighs or breasts The recipe calls for a 5 lb chicken cut up. I prefer to use thighs, breast or legs. With breast you have to be careful to not over-cook them.
- 1 tsp Harissa Trader Joe's carry's this, as to most larger grocery stores. Harissa is essentially a red, fiery chilli paste. Therefore pretty much any chilli-based hot sauce will work as a substitute. You could also use chilli flakes pounded together with caraway seeds in a pestle and mortar, loosened with a few drops of olive oil.
- 1 pinch coarse salt
- 1) Whisk together the 1/2 cup yogurt, the juice from 1/2 lemon, lemon zest, olive oil, garlic, paprika, herbes de Provence, 1 teaspoon salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Pour into a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.2) Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil the grate.3) Combine 1/2 cup yogurt, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, and harissa in a small bowl. Set aside. 4) Remove chicken from bag and transfer to a plate or baking sheet lined with paper towels. Pat chicken pieces dry with more paper towels. Season with pinch of salt.5) Grill chicken, skin-side down, on the preheated grill for 2 minutes. Turn each piece and move to indirect heat. 6) Grill, turning often, with lid down until well-browned and meat is no longer pink in the center. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).7) Serve chicken with the yogurt harissa mixture on the side.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!