Five Bean Soup
A family favorite all year long! It is so easy to throw together, and full of delicious flavor.
- 6 Quart pot
- Cutting board and sharp knife
- Measuring spoons, measuring cup.
- 2/3 Bell pepper OPTIONAL: I like to spice it up by adding in a little hot peppers, such as jalapeno, cotch bonnet, etc .
- 1 TBSP Olive oil
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 2 TSP Garlic minced
- 4 Cups Chicken broth I use unsalted or low sodium.
- 1 Cup Tomato sauce
- 1 Can Black beans–drained and rinsed well until no bubbles form when running water over them.
- 1 Can Cannellini beans –drained etc
- 1 Can Great Northern beans – drained etc
- 1 Can Red Kidney beans – drained etc
- 1 Can Pinto beans -drained etc.
- 2 TSP Cumin
- 1 Tsp Coarse salt
- 1 TSP Black pepper
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 2 TSP Garlic powder
- 1 TSP Onion powder
- Heat large pot to medium high heat. Add olive oil and saute the diced onions and red pepper until onions go clear.
- Add garlic and saute together well for about a minute.
- Add chicken broth and tomato sauce.
- Drain and rinse all the beans and add them to the pot. I do this ahead of time so i can just add them right in as called for.
- Mix the pot continually until it slowly begins to bubble on the edges.
- Add the cumin, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder and mix until well combined and soup is pretty much to a boil.
- Top with sour cream and green onions or tortilla chips.
- Serve warm
You can also add in a smoked ham hock to add some smokiness. Or saute some diced up bacon when you are sauteing the bell pepper and onion i typically serve this with a mixed green salad, cornbread and cut up fruit for dessert. This soup will freeze great in an airtight storage container for up to one month. Serve a white or rose wine with this.
Serving: 6gVitamin A: 475IUCalories: 107kcalFat: 1gProtein: 21gCarbohydrates: 21g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!