Moroccan Vegetarian Stew
This fragrant, spicy chickpea stew can be served over couscous or with warm pita bread. Try topping this Moroccan dish with a small dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream to cool it down.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion-chopped
- 2 TSP Ground Cumin
- 2 TSP Ground Cinnamon
- 1 TSP Ground Coriander
- 1/2 TSP Ground Allspice
- 1/2 TSP Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 TSP Coarse Salt
- 1 Small Butternut squash-peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces-about 4 cups
- 2 Medium Potatoes-peeled, and cut into 1 inch pieces-about 4 cups
- 4 Medium Carrots-sliced
- 3 Plum tomatoes-chopped
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Zucchini, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Can Garbanzo beans or chickpeas, Drained and rinsed
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute onion until tender. Add seasonings; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Stir in squash, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until squash and potatoes are almost tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Add zucchini and beans; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 5-8 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!