Cuban Black Bean Soup–So Easy to make!
A great full flavored soup for anytime of the year
- 6-8 quart pot
- 1 med Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic-minced
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 LB Dried Black beans, rinsed well, check for stones, etc
- 3 cups Beef Broth, i use un-salted
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Smoked ham. 2-3 Smoked ham hocks are better if you can find them
- 1 med green pepper, i like using orange or yellow for the color contrast
- 1 large Tomato. I use a can of Ro-Tel instead. This will kick the spice a little more.
- 1/4 cup Dark Rum–Meyer's is what i use.
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin ground
- 1 1/2 tsp Oregano
- 1 Habanero pepper–i sometimes use i canned chipotle pepper. It's more smokey tasting and not as hot.
- 1) Saute onions 3 minutes,2) Add in garlic, stir for 30 seconds. 3) Add in all the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil for 2 minutes.4) Reduce heat to simmer, cover and simmer for 2 hours. NOTE: THE BEANS DO NOT NEED TO BE PRE-SOAKED.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!